Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cheap Beauty Steals You'll Love

[As published on Emmagem.com HERE]


It’s okay to spoil yourself every now and then with a lavish product, but doing so burns a deep hole in your wallet (or your other half’s wallet, for you lucky ladies out there!). Here are three budget-friendly products that work just as well as other beauty products out there. We put them to the test and find out whether they really do what they claim.
Baby Oil
Price: RM3.59 for 50ml
As makeup remover: I wear lots of waterproof eyeliner every day, and it can be a tad frustrating to remove without heavy-duty makeup remover. I put a bit of baby oil on a cotton pad (just enough to dampen the cotton without soaking it whole – otherwise you’ll get oil in your eyes, though it doesn’t hurt) and placed it on top of my eye makeup for a few seconds. True enough, my eyeliner wiped off effortlessly.
As hair serum: Just a few drops will do! Warm it up in between your palms, and smooth over the surface of your hair. I find that it helps to tame frizz, but if you have curly or permed hair, best to apply when your hair is still damp. Applying serum to dry, curly hair can make your strands a bit limp.
As body moisturizer: If you have really dry skin, you can mix a few drops with your usual body lotion to boost its benefits. Otherwise, this makes a great (and cheap) pre-shower oil. Apply liberally on skin before you shower, leave on for about 10 minutes and wash it all off. My skin felt amazingly smooth afterwards, and there wasn’t any oily, sticky feeling.
Baby Powder
Price: RM3.50 for 100g
For the face: After sunblock, foundation and concealer, I set my makeup with baby powder. I’ve been doing this ever since I was in high school (let’s just say I’ve come a looooong way since then), and it works so well to keep my skin shine-free throughout the day. No other pressed powder has come close to giving me the same effect. Pour powder onto your palm and pat onto your face. If it’s too white, buff your face gently with a dry towel.
For the hair: This is a cheat tip for when you’ve got no time to wash your hair. Try not to do this too often though, and always use a deep-cleansing shampoo after to remove all the powder buildup from your hair and scalp. I usually massage a small amount of baby powder onto oily roots, and brush it out with a comb. My hair looks fresh and volumized again!
Vaseline
Price: RM4.50 for a small tub
As lipbalm: This one’s pretty straightforward. Slick it on your lips before you go to bed and wake up to a baby-soft pout! If you don’t fancy the scent, what I do is I mix it with lipstick on the back of my hand to make my own tinted lipbalm. This is especially useful when you don’t know what to do with that lipstick you bought and don’t like anymore.
As heel balm: I use Vaseline on my heels to get rid of dry patches and unsightly cracks. If you’re always on your feet, this helps to prevent cracked heels. Massage into skin, and put on a pair of socks. I sleep with the socks on, and rinse my feet in the morning. Works like a charm every single time! This works if you have flaky elbows, too.
As nail & cuticle oil: Rub Vaseline onto nails and cuticles, especially in between your regular mani-pedi to keep your fingers and toes presentable. Well-moisturised cuticles don’t peel off easily, and since your hands are always in contact with water, the waxy texture prevents fine lines on your hands. I would recommend doing this while watching TV, since your hands will be free for a longer period of time.
 The best part of all: total ‘damage’ for all three products = only RM11.59!

(Main photos: beautythroughstrength.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment