Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kitchen Remedies For Amazing Skin

[As published on Emmagem.com HERE]

This weekend, treat yourself to a yummy DIY facial at home. Let’s take a look at what we can find in the kitchen that will help improve your complexion. Emmagem asked these creative ladies for some tips on what to use.
 Plain Yogurt

Recommended by:
 Ryoko Iwase, student
I’ve been using plain yogurt for… seven years now. I used to apply it on my face every day when I had sensitive skin and pimples. Now that my skin is better, I use it whenever my skin feels irritated or dry.
I discovered the magic of plain yogurt… when I was watching a TV show. A Japanese actress in her 60s, when asked about her secret to beautiful skin, said she only uses yogurt for her face. She didn’t use and expensive creams, or spend money at beauty clinics.
How to use: Apply a thick layer liberally all over face and neck, and leave on for 20 minutes. After that, just rinse off with water. Follow with your usual moisturizer. You can do this every evening as yogurt is very mild on the skin.
Skincare benefits of plain yogurt: anti-acne, whitening, hydrating, unclogs pores, prevents lines and wrinkles.
You can also find yogurt in… Laneige Multiberry Yogurt Repair Pack (RM100). It smells so delicious – exactly like strawberry-flavoured Pocky, actually – you’ll be tempted to taste it (though we don’t recommend you do that, because we already tried).

Avocado
Recommended by: Sarah, writer
I’ve been using avocado for… seven years, since my family moved into our current home in Ipoh. We have an avocado tree in the backyard!
I discovered the magic of avocado… I’ve seen avocado masks being sold in pharmacies, so I thought – why not? – since we had a tree with fresh fruit growing from it anyway. Plus, my brother’s former girlfriend used avocado on her hair.
How to use: Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh. Mash it into a fine pulp, and add a bit of honey to make everything stick together in a paste. Slather on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes, and rinse off.
Skincare benefits of avocado: skin-softening, radiance-enhancing, moisturising.
You can also find avocado in… Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask (RM120). It’s enriched with Apricot Kernel Oil, and smells absolutely divine! We find this a tad too rich for Malaysian weather, so instead of leaving it on as stated in the instructions, our skin breathes better after wiping it off with a damp towel. 

Organic Cane Sugar
Recommended by: Marjorie Yu, entrepreneur
I’ve been using cane sugar for… six years.
I discovered the magic of cane sugar… by accident, actually! I was told by a spa masseuse that salt scrubs are not suitable for my skin (salt can be really drying for skin!), so I tried their sugar scrub. I wasn’t really satisfied with the results, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own.
How to use: It can be mixed with olive oil to create a paste. Choose finer sugar granules, which won’t be as abrasive. Mix a small amount in a bowl and use immediately. Massage the scrub gently over skin (face and body) and rinse off with water or your usual cleanser.
Skincare benefits of cane sugar: moisturising, exfoliating, smoothing.
You can also find organic cane sugar in… Pom Poms Organic Sugar Scrub Lavender (RM88).  It’s blended with French Lavender essential oil, crushed Lavender flowers and ginseng, to revive your skin and soul at the same time. It leaves our skin feeling smooth and silky, so we can skip the moisturizer after showering. Pom Poms is available at Plaza Mont’ Kiara. 
So tell us – which one worked best for you? :)
(Lifestyle Photos: fineartamerica.com, voskos.com, christiescorner.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment