Monday, September 2, 2013

Botox Before 30: What Is The World Coming To?

[As published on Emmagem.com HERE]
Okay, I admit: I read quite a number of blogs. They offer some form of escapism from the real world, allowing you to look at life from another person’s point of view. But the universe is all about balance. For every legitimate blogger out there who is trying his or her level best to put out good, inspiring articles, there is another one who’s merely in it for the ‘glamorous’ events and freebies.
It’s no secret that companies often offer sponsorships to bloggers with the hopes of getting exposure and publicity in return, but there are certain things that I feel are pushing the lines of morality.
For instance, encouraging plastic surgery. Nowadays, aesthetic ‘tweaks’ are becoming more and more popular. Bloggers are no longer shying away from the topic. Botox, laser facials, double eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, boob jobs – they’re written about with a shocking sense of nonchalance as you would write about having roti canai at the nearby mamak stall.
f377eccc80abff63936cf647595791af
Thing is, these girls who gush about how good Botox is – they’re not even 30 years old yet.
I’ve seen a 24-year-old blogger asking for ‘sponsorships’ to get her nose fixed, just because she felt it was a tad larger for her liking. I’ve read about how a boob job helped another one get her life back (she’s 25), and I’ve seen so many Botox-promoting articles (for jaw-reduction and contouring, not for wrinkles) written by girls barely pushing the age of 28.
Now, I’m not all against plastic surgery, but I don’t like the way it’s made to sound like a necessity. Aesthetic treatments beyond the age of 40, understandable and even acceptable in the eyes of society, but at 25? I don’t think so.
6ac953111a5ae70b7b881b8765a7235f
Yes, there is the argument that these blog readers are mature enough to make their own decisions, but then again there are also impressionable young girls fresh out of high school who desperately need someone’s advice. Listening to the wrong person could seriously affect their adulthood negatively.
At one point in life, I actually seriously considered getting a double-eyelid surgery. Back then, our world wasn’t overrun with blogs yet, and I had nowhere to look for validation except my friends. Some said yes, go for it. Some were against it, asking me why I wanted to take the risk, even though it was a minor surgery. What if I looked different after? I sat on the idea for 4 years, and finally decided to let it go. Fine, my eyes might not be the same size, but at least I don’t look like everyone else.
c0c352a75e4a6bda854199847c19104a
What I’m talking about is not condemning these girls for their choices, but wondering about the way they present the information. It’s a fine (and extremely sensitive line) to tread when it comes to talking about ‘aesthetic treatments’, for want of a better-sounding word. It’s totally a personal choice, but to go on and on about how good it is, just because it was administered free of charge?
The moral dilemma is this: just like how I sought validation from my friends, readers are able to find validation from the blog posts they read. The more they read about how aesthetic treatments are allegedly harmless, the more they’re inclined to try it out, no matter their age. It no longer matters that they don’t need it, because they want it bad enough.
dcf91509fb53b23d380787a404c6fba2
That’s the worrying part about all this.
(Images: pinterest.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment