Wednesday, June 25, 2014

5 Biggest Skincare Mistakes Ever Made

[As published on Emmagem.com HERE]
Last week, I finally made my mind up to get a facial. The last time I had one was probably last year (but in my defense I do indulge in regular DIY facials at home). It was one of those rare occasions where the beautician was not just highly skilled, but also well-versed in her craft. All I can say is that she puts many of the local beauticians (who have had better education and more opportunities to work harder but don’t) to shame. And so forth came a barrage of questions from yours truly, because no I wasn’t going to let this opportunity go to waste, not even when I was half-asleep on the facial bed.
I asked her about the biggest skincare mistakes women make, and combined her advice with my experience to come up with this list:

Not using enough moisturiser on your neck
woman-touching-her-neck-with-her-hands_article_new
The telltale signs: The first thing by beautician asked me after cleansing my face was whether I applied moisturiser on my neck. I said yes, and she told me that it wasn’t enough because the skin on my neck was beginning to show signs of dryness and loss of firmness. I felt bad because I knew I wasn’t paying enough attention to my neck. I try to take good care of my face, but I usually just massage whatever is left on my neck and be done with it.
The change: So now, after moisturising my face, I take the same amount I use for my face and apply it on my neck using upward movements. My facial was last Thursday. After just one week, I notice that the horizontal line on my neck isn’t that pronounced as it was last week.

Neglecting the importance of double cleansing
Teenager-problem-skin-care-woman-wash-face
The telltale signs: Let me tell you that I wasn’t such a stickler for double cleansing a few years ago, when the only options I had were greasy cleansing lotions and greasier cleansing creams. I hated the idea of having to clean my face twice – what a waste of money and time! But what I saved in terms of Ringgits and minutes, I paid for with whiteheads and tiny bumps on my skin because makeup wasn’t removed thoroughly from my skin using a foaming cleanser.
The change: The turning point in life arrived when I picked up a bottle of cleansing water.  Instead of heavy creams that had to be wiped off, you just pump the cleansing water onto a cotton pad and sweep off all traces of makeup residue on your skin (that’s after eye makeup removal, of course). My skin stays fresh, clean and ready to be cleansed again!

Manhandling your face
duck-face-2-650x433
The telltale signs: I have a bad habit of rubbing my eyes (extremely vigorously) when they’re itchy. I also find myself frowning a lot (especially when horrible drivers cut me off, or when too-noisy children are allowed to run free in shopping malls and destroy things). Sometimes, when I exfoliate my face, I massage it to the end of the world and back, because hey – it feels super clean that way. When I apply moisturiser, I rub it in, in all directions like nobody’s business.
The change: All these little gestures you make add up to create unnecessary friction on your face, causing lines and wrinkles. It’s worse when you have dry or dehydrated skin. Even though it’s sometimes so satisfying to rub my eyes, I try to exercise all forms of self-control. Use gentle motions to cleanse and apply skincare, and never scrub your face like how you would an oil-crusted wok. The skin on your face is delicate, and it should be treated as such.

Leaving face masks on for too long
make-a-food-facemask-e1387536751576
The telltale signs: This is something all of us are guilty of at least once. Clay masks? It’s okay lah, I’ll just leave it on for another 5 minutes while I try to break my Candy Crush record. Sheet masks? It’s okay lah, I’ll leave it on my face until I fall asleep, and then it will fall off right? But in fact, leaving face masks on for longer than required does exactly the opposite. As the moisture of the product evaporates from your skin’s surface, so does the natural moisture from your skin. So, you end up losing more water from the skin, making it drier and even more dehydrated than before.
The change: As a general rule, clay masks (those that dry hard) should be removed after a maximum of 15 minutes. Sheet masks – 20 minutes. Cream masks – 20 minutes. It doesn’t mean that they longer they stay on your face, the better they work. What’s MORE important is that your replenish moisture to your skin after removing the mask, so that your skin stays fully protected.

Forgetting about your hands and feet
feet
The telltale signs: Nothing is more unattractive than a beautifully-dressed woman with great skin and perfectly-applied makeup…who has old-lady hands and cracked heels. I remember the first time I saw a woman like that, and I was in awe until I looked at her feet. I promised myself that I would never forget about my feet, because ‘not having enough time’ is not an excuse.

The change: It only takes a few minutes to keep your hands and feet protected. If, like me, you dislike that greasy feeling that stays on your hands, especially if you come into contact with water, ugh – then do it at night only. Do the feet first. I usually use hand cream for both my hands and feet instead of body lotion, which isn’t rich enough. Slather a thick layer on your feet and massage it in well, concentrating on the heels and toes. Put on a pair of old socks. Then, apply hand cream on the hands and elbows and massage any rough or tough patches. After that, turn off the lights and go to sleep. It’s that simple.

I hope these tips worked for you, because they sure worked for me!

(Images: beautyheaven.com.au, makeupandbeauty.com, sheknows.com, youqueen.com. acnenomorereviewblog.com, superscrimpers.com, digitaltrends.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment