Thursday, September 18, 2014

How To Detox Without Torturing Yourself

[As published on Emmagem.com HERE]
Before we start, how many of you have tried detoxing, or have wanted to try detoxing? Well, I have. Wanted to, at least. But there’s always this niggling thought in my head, doubting whether I would be able to survive the ordeal, because…
a)      my pain threshold is rather low (as is my tolerance for bull****)
b)      I do not wish to change my lifestyle, and I dislike vegetables
c)       neither do I want to be dead-bolted to the toilet, rendering me useless for days
d)      I simply do not have enough willpower to continue something for extended periods of time
In short, my ideal detox regime would have to be interesting, affordable, easy, exciting, no-nonsense, enjoyable and not involve ingesting tons of salad/disgusting concoctions/laxative-inducing tea.
I’m not exactly the easiest customer to please, but as a consumer I think I too deserve some input as to how I want to follow/maintain a detox routine regularly. So I got word out to my friends and asked them about their detox methods. I figured, as long as the outcome is the same (ie. to detox), it doesn’t really matter how I do it.
But if I’m going to do it, I’m not going to torture myself and be miserable just so I can enjoy a trimmer body/clearer skin/lighter spirit. Because seriously, I don’t want to sit there and feel sorry for myself when everyone’s having satay and I’m picking at my lame salad and having detox tea.
I’m going to do it and enjoy it at the same time. Here are a few alternative methods which you can try:

Hydrotherapy
How it works: Also known as water therapy, this involves you immersing yourself in water. Hydrotherapy can be done many ways, the most common types being alternating soaks of hot and cold to promote blood circulation, or using powerful jets of water to stimulate microcirculation.
Emmagem recommends:
balance-bathtub-from-neoqi2balance-bathtub-from-neoqi1
NeoQi energy Cocoon Balance, a pod-like super-canggih bathtub that comes with built-in mp3 player, 24 massage jets, aromatherapy, infrared, steam sauna and coloured LED lights. For a closer look, check this video out. The music’s a little funky, so you might want to mute before clicking play.
Sitting in the bathtub while the jets pummel your body is a surreal experience, made even more futuristic by the colour-changing LED lights, which are said to have healing properties. After one session, you’ll notice a yellowish residue along the rim of the tub, which the therapist tells me are toxins that have been expelled from my body. She also tells me that there is only ONE NeoQi Cocoon pod in Malaysia. Try it at Celebrity Beaute.

Antioxidant Therapy
How it works: As we age, the cells in our bodies start to oxidise. This allows negative cellular activities, which can lead to many illnesses, most notably cancer and heart problems. There’s this theory called the free radical theory of ageing, which states that antioxidants like Vitamin A, C and E (and more) helps slow down the ageing process by preventing cells from oxidising.
Emmagem recommends:
Zenyu-02
Ecoparadise Antioxidant Hot Bed Therapy. Naturally-occuring antioxidants can be found in places like waterfalls and rainforests, and Ecoparadise recreates the same concept without you having to trek into the jungle. These hot beds contain a special antioxidant-rich enzyme originating from Hokkaido, Japan. In fact, these enzymes can be infused into a wide variety of items, including plastic, glass, ceramic, metal, wood and more. Using hot water circulation underneath the hot beds, the antioxidants are released into the air, thus neutralising the harmful free radicals that have accumulated in your body. Find an outlet closest to you here.

Salt Room Therapy
How it works: Halotherapy is the practice of inhaling microscopic salt particles to improve the respiratory system and skin ailments. Widely used by ancient Greeks, salt room therapy involves sitting in a special room covered entirely in dry salt – kind of like a cave.
Emmagem recommends:
1388028102440
You can find a salt room at MY-Life Centre, Petaling Jaya. The website doesn’t advertise the salt room, but we found it via Groupon. A 45-minute session is said to be beneficial in killing germs in the respiratory system, and it’s particularly useful for people suffering from eczema (as there is no known cure for this skin ailment).

Gua Sha
How it works: Scraping is an age-old Chinese traditional remedy, where a piece of smooth buffalo horn is used to scrape the back or face to help flush out toxins accumulated in the body. The Chinese believe that illnesses and disease are causes by toxins stuck in the body, and that Gua Sha can help to promote blood circulation while expelling toxins.
Emmagem recommends:
guasha
Herbaline Butterfly Threading, which features a jade Gua Sha treatment to cool down skin after the threading process. Of course, Gua Sha for the face is different for the body. For the body, you tend to get a reddish ‘rash’, but that goes away in a few days. According to a Chinese Gua Sha therapist I visited, the unhealthier your body is, the more visible your rash is. With regular treatments, as your body retains less toxins, the rash will become less apparent after each Gua Sha treatment. Conventional Gua Sha treatments can be found at most traditional Chinese massage centres.

Now that you’ve got the info, there’s no excuse not to detox anymore, eh?

(Images: silvieandmaryl.com, nogreaterjoy.com, dropthecookie.com, groupon.my, manilatimes.net, guashatools.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment