Sunday, August 9, 2015

Bare necessities for bare skin: what you need to ace the nude look

[As published on Emmagem.com HERE]
With strobing all the rage right now (which honestly, isn’t new – it’s just a fancy word for good-ole-highlighting), the nude look is back, and this time around, it’s bigger and better.
Autumn/Winter 2015 saw nude makeup making a presence on the runways of Balmain, Max Mara, Christopher Kane, Giambattista Valli and Topshop. And that’s only a handful. What these looks have in common is a base that looks so bare; it’s almost free of foundation.
Bare Skin
Smooth, diffused and glowing but not overly so, the new nude complexion isn’t suffocated with powder, nor is it a contrived recreation of fake-flawless that many women fall prey to (usually with the help of multiple layers of base makeup).

You will need: a lightweight CC cream
Chanel-CC-cream-Vogue-7Aug13-PR_b
Despite the general consensus that Korea is the mother of all CC cream makers, many products tend to leave a whitish cast on the skin, making it look weirdly greyish. One of the best CC creams I’ve used is (believe it or not) Chanel’s. When I received it for my birthday from a good friend, I was initially sceptical – I mean, Chanel? CC cream? But one swipe was all it took, and I was sold. The coverage is sheer, but it leaves behind a new-and-improved skintone that looks like I sleep for 8 solid hours every night and I eat clean (both of which are complete, utter lies). It doesn’t cover pimples that well, though, but that’s what a concealer is for.

You will need: a brightening concealer
concealer
I have made the mistake of believing magazine ads many times when it comes to concealers. I’m the biggest dud at buying good concealers, and twice I got conned into buying undereye concealers that sucked big time by brands that claim theirs to be the best (thanks, B and BB). I have since stopped using concealers (because I got lazy), but two of my all-time favourites have to be Diorsnow White Reveal Instant Spot Concealer and Anna Sui Concealer. They’re blendable, buildable and don’t flake. I liked the Anna Sui one so much; I actually finished using the whole tube despite the overly-heady rose scent. However, do note that it’s been years since, so I’m not sure whether they’ve changed the formulation.

You will need: baby powder
original_CW
I hate tinted loose powders. I loathe them with a vengeance because I can never seem to get it to sit properly on my skin. It stains every piece of clothing I own. It leaves clouds of nude-toned dust everywhere. That’s why baby powder is the best thing ever invented, guaranteed to leave your face feeling as smooth as a baby’s bum. My grandmother used baby powder, and so does my mom. I also have a good number of girlfriends who tried using baby powder as the finishing step to their makeup, and have since become 100% converts. The semi-matte finish is really second to none, and it will never leave behind annoying stains. You don’t even need a brush – all you need to do is buff it onto your skin with your fingertips and gently wipe your skin with a clean, dry towel.

You will need: pearly powder eyeshadow
5681dc10db8958831f7d4c3dd603143e
The rule of thumb: no glitter, only shimmer. I’ve since realised that if you want a more visible shimmery finish, choose eyeshadow over face highlighter, but make sure you blend it well so that the edges are all blurry. Depending on your undertones, choose a shade with either gold or silver shimmer, but we really fancy Urban Decay’s Zephyr, which leaves a subtle golden sheen. Using your fingertips, blend the colour on areas where the light would normally hit your face: center of the forehead down along the nose bridge, browbones, cheekbones, cupid’s bow, and not forgetting the outline of the lower lip down to the chin.

And that, my friends, is all you need to ace the nude-skin look in all its glory.
topshop-unique-rtw-fall-201504

(Images: redonline.co.uk, theupcoming.co.uk, topcoatfashion.com, elle.com.au)

No comments:

Post a Comment