Thursday, June 2, 2016

Readers reveal: all-time fave skincare products we wouldn’t trade for anything!

[As published on Emmagem.com HERE]

Have you ever experienced a “Eureka!” moment where you tried a particular beauty product, and you just knew you’d found The One? We certainly have, and so have these women, who were kind enough to share their personal favourites with us.

Above all, your beauty products have to be suitable for skin, so it doesn’t matter if they’re high-end counter brands or low-profile salon brands, or even mass brands you can get from Guardian or Watsons. Your skin should be treated like a delicate flower; not manhandled into submission. When you find something that works, stick to it! Once you become a true believer, it’s definitely hard to switch brands, especially when you know they just work so good for you.

DMC Purifying Facial Wash

21488-28286-27427-20848-dmc-28165-27905-38431-38271-2-amatrix-1311-14-amatrix@6
Recommended by: Marlene, entrepreneur
“This is a Taiwanese brand that I got to know from following random people on Instagram. It leaves my face feeling clean, but never stripped dry. There’s not much foam, but no complaints here. I love how silky-smooth my skin feels after cleansing!”

Pinetarsol Bar600-600-pics-assetlibrary-143-Ego_Pinetarsol_Bar_100g
Recommended by: Regina, office manager
“I used to suffer from really bad acne – the red, angry kind. My cousin recommended this bar soap to me, and it miraculously cleared my skin! I use it for my face and body (though my skin is on the oily side, so I don’t feel any uncomfortable dryness), but I would suggest trying it on the body first to see whether it’s too drying.”

Simple Kind To Skin Soothing Facial Tonerhwthumb
Recommended by: Beverly, lecturer
“I’m a huge supporter of beauty brands that are cruelty-free and don’t test on animals. Simple’s products have worked for me for many years, and I love how they’re so affordable! The toner is wonderful on skin after a long day, and I give bonus points for its fragrance-free, colour-free formula.”

Kiehl’s Hydro-plumping Re-texturizing Serum Concentratehydro-plump
Recommended by: Marjorie, self-employed
“Actually, anything Kiehl’s is pretty amazing! This serum, though, packs two-in-one benefits of hydration and anti-ageing. The name is a mouthful, but it’s worked wonders to keep my dry skin free from lines and roughness. Love it!”

SF Beauty Skin Hydrant Defense Emulsionnew05
Recommended by: Michelle, tutor
“A lot of moisturisers don’t sit well on my sensitive combination skin. I stumbled upon this Singaporean skincare brand by chance after requesting for samples, and I’m already on my 3rd bottle. I only need a tiny amount, and the texture hydrates without leaving my skin oily. It’s a relatively unknown brand, but definitely one of the best products I’ve used.”

Elemente Rose Essentials Phytolift Firming Facial Moisture Gel
Face_cream
Recommended by: Hui San, psychologist
“I’ve been using this moisturiser since I was in university, and it’s the only product I always ‘refill’ because it smells so good. It’s a bit pricey, but I think it’s a worthy investment because when I’m too lazy to go through my usual skincare routine, my complexion still stays nice and smooth for days!”

Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Exfoliating Facial Pads10148524
Recommended by: Claudia, writer
“This is perfect for lazy girls like me who don’t like a complicated skincare routine. The round cotton pads are infused with glycolic acid, which exfoliates my skin without rough scrubby bits. I don’t have to rinse off, and all I need to do is go to sleep after swiping my face with it. Since my skin is quite delicate, I reserve this for night-time use only.”

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealermaxresdefault
Recommended by: Nieyko, personal assistant
“My Holy Grail discovery of the year, hands down! It’s creamy but not overly so, and the tube just lasts forever. I like the silky texture, which makes it easy to build up coverage around the eye area without looking cakey. This concealer trumps everything else I’ve tried so far.”

Hada Labo Air BB CreamShape Suncare Awards 2015_BBCC Cream37_Hada Labo Air UV BB Cream_0
Recommended by Amanda, tutor
“3 tubes later, I’m still a firm supporter of this BB cream. It’s affordable, and easily found at most stores, so restocking is no problem. It claims to have 10 benefits in a tube, like pore-minimising, anti-ageing, hydrating, oil control and brightening effects (and more). The light-as-air texture is a plus for our Malaysian climate because my skin doesn’t grease up as often as it used to.”

Moonshot Cream Paintcreampaint_104_1
Recommended by: Zara, deputy editor
“I don’t use much makeup, so this is a great all-in-one colour that goes on my cheeks and lips. I like the extra-large applicator – one swipe is all I need for my cheeks, and I just blend it with my fingertips. There are other colours like purple, mint and maroon, but I prefer to stick to safer colours that don’t show up too much, so my mistakes won’t be obvious!”

Kate Super Sharp Liner31VBq7jWWrL._SY355_
Recommended by: Chloe, research associate
“This eyeliner is easy to handle thanks to its super-sharp tip. Some liquid eyeliners can be too wet or not waterproof enough, and I’ve bought some really expensive ones which had very hard nibs. This one hasn’t given me any problems of that sort, and it’s not expensive. I’m not ready to risk my makeup by changing brands, that’s for sure.”

Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 9.13.40 AM
Recommended by: Ashlee, marketing executive
“A mascara that locks in your curled lashes and stays on all day? When a friend recommended this to me, I was immediately sold! The packaging is also very cute. For the price I’m paying, this definitely gives me a bang for my buck because I’ve never tried any other mascara that has such amazing staying and curling power. My only gripe is that it’s a tad difficult to remove, but with oil-based makeup remover, it comes off relatively easily.”

No comments:

Post a Comment