Thursday, August 18, 2016

Ain't got no time for gym: YouTube workout channels you'll love

[As pubished on Emmagem.com HERE]

I’m no gym freak. I only work out because I fear gaining weight after 30 because everyone I know has said that it’s easy to put on weight, but super hard to lose it at this age. I also work out so I can eat more. I really love food. My Insragram feed is a solid 85% (or more) food pictures, and the random selfie or animal.

I used to go to the gym, but dragging myself out from bed at 6.00am to get to the gym before 7.00am and slogging it away on the treadmill wasn’t for me. I’m not a morning person, and towards the end of my rather short-lived membership, I was dozing off on the stationary bike, or sneaking in 10-minute naps in the changing room. It was torture to wake up early, and I started resenting my gym sessions. I didn’t like working out at night either, because I usually had dinner late and I didn’t like going to a crammed gym filled with grunting guys who’d hog the weights.

Two years ago, I cancelled my gym membership and decided to work out at home. My personal trainer came in the form of YouTube – a free library of workouts dedicated to helping you achieve your dream body. Okay, I gained some weight back after not going to the gym so regularly, but I guess my progress hasn’t been too shabby considering I only work out twice (sometimes only once) a week.

And if you’re pressed for time, a 15-minute session a day, or every alternate day, is definitely better than no exercise at all. Here are some of my favourite YouTube channels with short videos you can fit into your schedule without any difficulty.

maxresdefault (1)
Every girl who’s ever searched YouTube for quick exercises will have at least tried one of Cassey Ho’s workouts on her channel, Blogilates. I remember trying her squat challenge a few years back (non-stop squats done in time to Carly Rae Jepsen’s ‘Call Me Maybe’) and I almost died. The next day, my body was in pain, but it was good pain. Her workouts are quick and easy to follow, but halfway through and you’ll be like “WHY DID I EVEN START?!” Don’t stop, though – finish the longest 10 minutes of your life and you’ll walk away feeling proud of yourself for being a trooper.


o_33_min_kickboxing_hiit
Fitness Blender was founded by husband-and-wife team, Daniel and Kelli, who have extensive experience in the fitness industry. My mom loves this channel because it’s straightforward without all the extra fuss, and swears by the standing abs workout. Basically the voiceover (Daniel, I presume) explains each step while Kelli demonstrates how to do it. There are LOTS of videos on the channel, so you can practically build your own workout as you like.


maxresdefault (2)
The first thing you notice about Kristen is that she has an amazingly toned body and you wish you could look half as good as she does. Well, at least that’s what goes through my mind every time I do one of her workouts. I really love her arm workouts because you only use 0.5kg or 1kg (maximum) weights and work the smaller muscles in your arms, but I promise you’ll feel the burn even after one set. Her videos are super-short (great for ‘busy’ people like you and me) but she recommends doing the circuit three times through for best results.


maxresdefault (3)
If you love variety, Popsugar Fitness is for you. The fitness spinoff from major lifestyle website Popsugar puts a lot of emphasis on its workout videos, and for good reason too. Guest trainers show you how to kick ass in a variety of videos, from tabata to kickboxing to yoga to pilates and more. And it’s a great way to push yourself if you’re not feeling the motivation; the energy is great, and sometimes you get really cute male guest trainers as a bonus (like this one here, which I have done many a time just because of the eye candy).

(Images: youtube.com, losangeles.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment